CHATEAU DE BELLEVUE, Morgon
On a hill overlooking the village of Villié-Morgon, the majestic chateau was built in the 19th century, and a cellar added behind the château in the 1830s. The 20th century saw several notable residents, including a son of the Lumière brothers who invented the cinema; and Russian Princess Leiven, whose maiden name was Chateaubriand. In 2009, Beaujolais winegrower/merchant Maison Jean Loron purchased the estate. With a history in the region dating to 1711, the company is now managed by Xavier Barbet, 8th generation of the Loron/Charlet family.
Château de Bellevue’s 14.5 ha of vineyards are located on exceptional hillside sites in the Cru of Morgon, comprised of several ‘climats’ including Le Clos and Les Charmes. Bellevue also has vineyards in the Cru of Moulin-a-Vent, Fleurie and Brouilly. Hand-harvesting grapes from a multitude of parcels, gives winemaker Claire Forestier an array of raw material to craft distinctive, high quality wines. Her cellar is tailored to specific parcel selections, and includes stainless steel, concrete and various sizes of wood tanks for fermentation and aging. Prior to Château de Bellevue, she spent almost 10 years in Vougeot (Côte d’Or). She also worked several years in California, Argentina and South Africa.